By default, your NETGEAR router’s IP address is either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. The computer or mobile device that you are using automatically retrieves the IP address from your router. If your computer or mobile device is using a static IP address, you need to configure your device to retrieve the IP address.
To view your router’s IP address:
- Launch a web browser from a computer or wireless device that is connected to your router’s network.
- Type http://routerlogin.net into your web browser’s address bar.
The login window displays.
- Enter the router user name and password.
The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
The BASIC Home page displays.
- Select ADVANCED.
Your router’s IP address displays under Router Information.
This article will help you configure your NETGEAR router for cable/broadband internet connection.
The information in this article applies if you configuring a cable internet connection with a NETGEAR router that uses the Smart Wizarduser interface.
If you have a router with a NETGEAR genie user interface, see How to configure your NETGEAR router for cable internet connection with NETGEAR genie
If you have a DSL internet connection, see one of the following articles:
- If your router uses the NETGEAR genie user interface, see How to configure a NETGEAR DSL Gateway for internet connection with NETGEAR genie
- If your router uses the old Smart Wizard user interface, see How to configure a NETGEAR DSL gateway for internet connection with Smart Wizard
To configure your router for cable internet connection with Smart Wizard:
- Connect your modem to the internet port of the NETGEAR router and your computer to any of the four LAN ports.
- Switch the computer, router, and broadband/cable modem, off and on again. Wait for them all to finish booting up.
- Open a web browser and type the router’s IP address which would be either http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar and press Enter.
- You are prompted to log into the router.
- The default username is admin and the default password is password.
- The username and password are case-sensitive.
- If the default username and password is not working, you might have changed the password. Please try other passwords that you might have changed to. Otherwise, a factory reset is needed to restore the router to factory defaults. To perform a factory reset, see Restoring a NETGEAR home router to the factory default settings.
- Click Setup Wizard.
The Setup Wizard screen displays.
- Select Yes and click Next.
The Setup Wizard detects the type of internet connection. For cable internet connections, the Setup Wizard detects Dynamic IP.
- Click Next. The router saves the settings.
Note: Do not change the default settings unless your internet service provider gave you specific DNS information that must be configured.
- (Optional) To check if you are connected to the internet, select Router Status under Maintenance.
Look at the IP Address field to see if you have a valid IP address (that is, not blank or filled with zeroes, such as 0.0.0.0).
For additional troubleshooting, see I lost connection to the internet, how do I get my connection back?
The following video demonstrates these steps: